Ford had admitted he felt like he was 21 again after losing 60 pounds in preparation for his boxing debut against the Iranian Hulk, which has now been called off.
Martyn Ford has admitted he feels ’21 again’ after losing 60 pounds in preparation for his canceled boxing debut against the Iranian Hulk.
The British star previously weighed around 360 pounds and stands at an incredible six-foot-nine. He was training for his boxing debut against Iranian Hulk – real name Sajad Gharibi – which was due to take place on April 30 but has now been shelved.
Ford revealed a remarkable transformation on Instagram after losing around 60 pounds since he started training. He wrote: “Lifting big weights ** against boxing. 360 pounds against 302 pounds. In October I started this journey, and like everything I’ve done in life I really wanted to do , I gave absolutely everything and more. This is by far the best and healthiest I’ve felt in years, feeling like I’m 21 again is insane.”
After several years of training in weightlifting, Ford opted to use his previous experience training in mixed martial arts by signing for Polish MMA promotion KSW in 2018 before the coronavirus pandemic hit. He then found an opponent for his boxing debut in Gharibi, with the duo having fostered a long-standing rivalry on social media.
The fight was originally scheduled for April 2, but it was postponed with injuries hitting the fight card. Now the heavyweight reunion has been called off entirely, with Ford suggesting his opponent was to blame for the short-notice cancellation.
Ford was understandably frustrated at the lack of an opponent for his boxing debut and admitted he gave “six months of his life” to ensure he was ready for the fight. Fans rushed to suggest that Ford should face Thor Bjornsson in his debut following his win over Eddie Hall.
What do you think of Martyn Ford’s weight transformation? Let us know in the comments section below
Any fight with Bjornsson would now see the Icelandic star significantly heavier than Ford, with the strongman weighing in at 335lbs for his win over Hall. However, the pair are said to be well matched in terms of frame, with both men standing at roughly the same height.
However, the 39-year-old admitted he remains uncertain about his next move during a video statement. “This is a statement that I didn’t want to have to release but my fight is going to be postponed. Unfortunately my fight will not be part of it. [to take place] for reasons beyond my control,” he said.
“It doesn’t take a genius to figure it all out, I don’t want to talk about it, too much time and energy has been wasted. I’m still here and still training hard, but there will be a start and there will be a start. there will be a fight. I’m just not 100% sure who or when and why?”
His Iranian rival has since reacted by saying he was extremely angry at the cancellation and threatened legal action during a video response. Gharibi then demanded that a new opponent be found for any boxing debut.