BEHEMOTH shares video for new single “Off to War”, 12th studio album “Opvs Contra Natvram” to be released on September 16th
FREAKPolish extreme metal lords have unveiled another track from their upcoming twelfth studio album “Opvs Contra Natvram”arriving September 16 via Nuclear explosion. The last single“Let’s go to war!” » is a mission statement, accompanied by another evocative official video, of the type that FREAK excel in, directed by Påhl Sundström and Erik Sundstrom. Watch it below.
Pre-order or pre-register the album here.
FREAK are mavericks through and through, swimming against the tide. The new collection reflects this attitude: “Opvs Contra Natvram” is the pure embodiment of rebellion, individuality and unwavering self-expression, shaped by a literary worldview. It also reflects a musical evolution; there is little doubt that “Opvs Contra Natvram” is FREAKis the strongest and most sophisticated project to date.
Frontman and FREAK visionary Adam “Nergal” Darski comments, “Activist times bring activist music… we’re upping the tempo with our new single, ‘Off To War!’ – one of my personal favorites from the new disc. This song has a killer punk section, one of the greatest Behemoth tracks of all time, and a nice touch of extreme metal at the end. A real sonic tornado in times of confrontation – enjoy it, legions!!
The ten chapters of fury that make up “Opvs Contra Natvram” were written and recorded in a very strange year for the globe – a situation that has only heightened the level of contraption seen in these searing 43 minutes and 15 seconds of anger. As with previous studio releases, “Ooh…” was produced by FREAKwith mixing handled by the acclaimed studio legend Joe Barresi (NINE INCH NAILS, TOOL, STONE AGE QUEENS, CHAINED ALICE).
Renowned for his meticulous attention to detail and absolute creative control over FREAK‘s world, group leader and visionary Adam “Nergal” Darski reveled in the depressurized environment offered by the pandemic. This meant that for almost the first time in the band’s inception over 30 years ago, there was no deadline to meet, allowing an almost unprecedented level of attention to the songwriting and recording process. .
Beyond any genre limit, FREAK became nothing less than the personification of rebellion, individuality, and unwavering self-expression informed by a literate worldview and worldliness that resulted in a horn-locking with everything from the mainstream press to the Polish Catholic Church – manifesting itself in particular in Nergal‘s blasphemy trial in 2010 which only served to expose the deep hypocrisies his music seeks to challenge.
“The title of the album means going against the grain” Nergal states. “It is the negative of values, morals and ethics that I oppose. I have seriously fought against destructive trends in pop culture – cancel culture, social media and tools which I believe are very dangerous weapons in the hands of people who are not competent to judge others. It’s something that I find very destructive and disturbing — and extremely limiting from an artist’s point of view. That’s my major for that. There’s a song on the record called “Neo-Spartacvs”. Spartacus was one of the most iconic rebels in history who stood against the most powerful empire of all time. In the end, I’m the one shouting, “I’m Spartacus, and so are you!” I want to ignite this flame of rebellion. If something is wrong, resist it!
“Opvs Contra Natvram” features a double cover available in black and white and will be published in a range of physical formats designed by Bartek Rogalewicz (Lodge.Black), some will delight collectors of limited editions:
- Jewelcase CD (black cover)
- Digibook (black cover) [limited to 8500 pieces]
- Digibook (white cover) [limited to 8500 pieces]
- Black/Gold Inkspot Vinyl Earbook (White Cover) [limited to 500 pieces]
- Earbook Gold/Black Corona Vinyl (White Cover) [limited to 500 pieces]
- Black vinyl (black cover)
- Photo vinyl (black cover) [limited to 3500 pieces]
- White/Gold Split Vinyl (White Cover) [limited to 650 pieces]
- Vinylbox Mailorder Edition (white cover) [limited to 1000 pieces]
- Earbook (black cover) [band exclusive, limited to 1167 pieces]
- Gold vinyl (black cover) [US Indie exclusive, limited to 350 pieces]
- Clear Crystal/Silver/Gold Inkblot Vinyl (White Cover) [band exclusive, limited to 666 pieces]
- White/Black/Gold Splatter Vinyl (White Cover) [band exclusive, limited to 1167 pieces]
- Transparent red vinyl (black cover) [EMP exclusive, limited to 300 pieces]
- White vinyl (white cover) [Nordics exclusive, limited to 300 pieces]
- Clear/Black Splatter Vinyl (Black Cover) [Kings Road Management exclusive, limited to 500 pieces]
- Gold/Black Marbled Vinyl (Black Cover) [UK Eyesore exclusive, limited to 300 pieces]
- White/Gold Marbled Vinyl (White Cover) [UK Recordstore exclusive, limited to 300 pieces]
- Marble Clear/Black Vinyl (Black Cover) [HMV exclusive, limited to 450 exclusive]
“Opvs Contra Natvram” track list:
1. Post-God Nirvana
2. Malaria Vulgata
3. The Immortal Sun
4. From my Herculean exile
7. Off to War!
8. Once Upon a Pale Horse
9. Your becoming eternal
10. Versvs Christvs
- Adam “Nergal” Darski / Vocals, Guitar
- Zbigniew “Inferno” Prominski / Drums, Percussion
- Tomasz “Orion” Wróblewski / Bass, Backing vocals
- Patryk “Seth” Sztyber / Guitar, Backing vocals